Ten miles west of downtown Denver is Applewood named Applewood in 1954 after the Bunger family apple orchard at 18th Avenue. The Bungers located in Colorado in 1883 and were among the first wave of pioneers that realized there was more prosperity in farming than mining for gold.
Myron Bunger set up Wheat Ridge’s first fruit stand on West 38th Avenue. Then during the depths of the Depression in 1932, the Bunger family bought 80 acres at West 26th and Youngfield Street. A handful of years later, a farmer paid Myron in apple seedings. Myron set about planting the seeds, but the earth was too hard to plow. So the innovative brothers pounded a crowbar into the ground and shoved a stick of dynamite down the hole. When the dynamite exploded, the soil cracked enough to plow and plant the seedlings. The cracks aerated the soil and the nitrogen from the gun powder acted as a powerful fertilizer. The ultimate apple crop included Early June, McIntosh, Rome Beauty, and Delicious along with pear, peach and cherry trees. Some of the aging trees still bear fruit in Applewood Glen.
Applewood stretches from Youngfield Street, Colfax Avenue on the south, almost to Kipling Avenue on the east, and west up the slopes of South Table Mountain. Ultimately nine Applewood residential developments filled in the area including Applewood Mesa, Applewood Hills, Applewood View, Applewood Valley applewood Glen, Applewood Grove, Applewood Heights, and Applewood Knolls.
The area is still known for flourishing tree growth of nearly all types.