Prussian Baron Allois Gillaume Eugene A. von Winckler purchased and platted Park Hill northeast of Denver in 1887.
Children and trees were nurtured here. One year earlier in 1876, Margaret Evans, wife of Territorial Governor John Evans, formed the Denver Orphan’s Home to house the hundreds of homeless orphans in the region. In 1902, the Home moved to its current home at 1501 Albion and continues to serve the orphan community.
In the late 1800s, Mayor Robert Speer launched his “City Beautiful” campaign. The city gave away Siberian and American Elms, silver maples, and ash trees. The canopy of trees lining Park Hill’s streets date back to this green effort and keeps Park Hill a proven 2 degrees cooler than the rest of Denver.